Monday, March 29, 2010

Lucy

A couple of years ago we had to put our beloved cat Midnight to sleep, which was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Even though he and Faith did not like each other very much, that was a tough time for her as well. The following spring we decided the apartment was too quiet and it was time to get another member of the family, so we headed to Second Chance Rescue.

I decided to let Faith pick out the cat we would adopt, and it did not take long to find Lucy, a short hair domestic with black and white tuxedo markings. We brought her home and she just fit right in very quickly to our routine. Faith does not like to have her door open when sleeping at night and did not mind letting Lucy sleep with me, so once again I have a cat sharing my bed.

Lucy is a very laid back kitty, but craves attention. If I decide to sleep in, when it is time for her to get up she will stand on my dresser knocking things off one at a time until I finally get up to feed her. She will literally pick the things up too, curling her claws around them with her paw upside down, and her favorite is my pair of glasses, followed by my lip balm. Once I get out of bed she bounds out of the room heading for her bowl, knowing I am right behind her.

She knows when I try to sleep in that means a day off for me and only more attention for her. She follows me everywhere, and would get in the shower with me if it wasn't for that pesky water. Lucy has put a hole in my plastic shower curtain so she can peer through to make sure I haven't left the room (no, she is not a peeper). Her favorite time is nap time, and loves to curl up in my lap when I am reading, we both fall asleep keeping each other warm.

When I do go to work and Faith is at school, she is waiting by the door, sitting on the table. We actually hear her meowing when we get to the door, and that is before we even put the key in the lock. It's like she knows our footsteps.

Lucy loves to play, and wants someone to play with, so she does get on Faith's nerves (especially when she is on the computer). Faith will pick her up and put her in my room with the door shut. Lucy has learned to still irritate her by "picking" at the metal door stop till someone lets her go. (The door stop is one of the cheap metal coils with the plastic tip, so it actually makes a "boing" sound everytime she hits it, and she will do it over and over again!) When Faith does play with her it is actually a game of fetch. Lucy will bring Faith her favorite little fuzzy mouse. Faith will throw it and Lucy will give chase, bringing it back to Faith, dropping it by her then sitting there looking at her until it gets thrown again.

Right now we are dealing with another bloody paw. Early last year she did something to her paw and it would not stop bleeding, so off to the vet. There wasn't anything in it, but it just wouldn't heal. The vet didn't have any idea and said she could wrap it for her, so that's what we went home with. The wrap stayed on for a total of 8 minutes after she was out of the carrier. (I think that figured out to costing me about $15 a minute of actually wearing the wrap after the vet bill) I checked out some options at a pet store and found a "quick stop" for bleeding nails and superficial cuts. It is just a liquid that acts as a bandaid for animals, and she HATES it. But it does work better than that wrap. This is her third bloody paw since that first one. My theory is that she gets something on it and just picks at it with her teeth until she cuts it. It is quite funny watching us put this medicine on her, Faith has her wrapped like a mummy in a towel and Lucy is quite slippery when she wants to be. Oh the look she gives us when we let her go. It is so funny she runs to a corner and just furiously licks her paw giving us the evil eye. It works though, and much cheaper than the vet!

We would love to rescue another cat, because Lucy is not one to like being alone, but are waiting until the money option gets better. Lucy would love a friend, she gets along with other cats great. Right now she has us, and that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment