Monday, April 11, 2011

Between Shades of Gray

I am so glad I follow some book blogs, or I would not have come across this new publication that is getting some great reviews.  When I read the plot summary, I knew it had to be something to read, and was so glad the library had it!

This historical fiction takes place in Lithuania in 1941.  A young girl and her family are arrested by the Russians, and transported to work camps.  This was a part of history I never knew about.  We learned about early Russia and heard about people being sent to Siberia, but never realized the fate of the people living in the Balkan region.  Many suffered just as the Jews did under Hitler's regime.  What is sad is that many of these people only had two choices, to suffer under Stalin or Hitler, and they had to choose the lesser of the two evils.

I always enjoy a great story where I can learn something about the world.  Glad I am getting some great ideas, especially about authors from different parts of the world.  If you have a chance, pick this one up, it's a great fast read.

No comments:

Post a Comment