Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sing You Home

Glad to see another new one by a favorite author.  I had heard great things about this book, and that it included a music CD with lyrics written by the author that went with the story.  Unfortunately the library removed the CD.  I suppose it would have been very difficult to keep them together.

The good news is that the CD is not the focus of the book.  It is about a journey of a couple trying and failing to get pregent.  Picoult tells the story from both sides of the couple, later adding on a third perpective from a friend.

I always enjoy Picoult's books because the twists and turns she takes with plots that are currently in the headlines.  She has dealt with teen pregnancy pacts, Asberger's syndrome, school shootings, and organ donations, and will make you think of outside your norm.  In this book, we explore the fact that noone knows who you will fall in love with, and that labeling love is not the way to go. 

I agree with her viewpoint, but feel that the plot fell short.  I just didn't get the suprise ending I usually do, in fact I knew where the story would end up about half way through the book.  It was almost as if she was telling the story ending exactly as the public would want.  I remember hearing about the book "My Sister's Keeper" being made into a movie, and how that pressure got the ending changed from the book's final chapter.  I hate when that happens, I thought that the book ended the way it should have.  I really hope that this was just a fluke and she hasn't "sold out" to the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment