Friday, December 31, 2010

Fall of Giants


I really like history and historical fiction, but I just love epic historical fiction. When I heard Ken Follett was publishing a new series, I pumped my fist in the air (that's right!). I absolutely loved his "World Without End" and "Pillars of the Earth" so I knew this was the next book I had to read.

I enjoy these epics because I love to follow different characters from different backgrounds that are on opposite sides. Follett did not disappoint me at all. The main characters were an English coal minor, English Lord married to a Russian princess, a Communist, an American Presidential aide, and a German military man. The story started before WWI, and continued up to the very end. The story really put my historical knowledge to the test. Little do we realize all of the political chasing around that wars involve, and there were times I could not keep the information straight, which amazes me that the author could. Sometimes I wonder the amount of research done to get the facts straight. I cannot wait for the next in this trilogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment