Monday, December 20, 2010

Prayer

Dear Heather, I know that you said you would prefer that we don't mention Supra to you, but she has touched so many of our hearts too, and we will miss her. Maybe not as much as her immediate family, but she was a very special part of our family. When we lost Midnight a few years back, my friend Jill sent me a poem she had found when they had to put their beloved dog down, who was also a very special part of their lives. I have to share it with you, because it brought comfort to me during that time. We loved the fact that on vacation or your trips home we would get to see her as well. I know she will always be in our hearts.

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. when an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

Author Unknown

I'm sorry if I offend you by publishing this, but I just feel I needed to say this. I love you all and hope this helps you find some peace.

2 comments:

  1. So I can't read this yet because I'm at work and I'll inevitably end up a mess. :) But I managed to read the first line and the last and I am concerned that I've made the wrong impression on you guys.

    I'm a mess anytime I talk to anyone about it (including the poor receptionist at the vet when I called to make the appt), and to hold it together it is just easier to not talk to anyone (other than Trung of course, so don't worry!). I know in a while I'll be ready to talk without tears, but there are only so many ugly cries a girl can physically handle in a month, you know? Plus I know it kind of freaks Logan out to see his mommy in tears and it isn't really work appropriate to be in tears, so that doesn't really leave me a lot of time in the day to talk to anyone about it. :) Posting it on my blog was a way to let everyone know because I know a lot of other people loved her too. She was the best dog ever!

    I love you guys for all the sweet things you've said and the support you've offered - and no post you could ever write about her would offend me. And I'll definitely reading the rest of your post at home after Logan goes to bed tonight. :)

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Kelly. I'm always amazed by the intense love that we feel for our pets. It is hard for me to ever imagine losing Cena. Just as hard as it is for me to imagine losing any of my family members! Thank you for sharing this poem. I imagine all of us reuniting with those furry members of our family at some point. And, I can't wait to be rushed by Supra, attacked by Midnight :), and even "kissed" by Max.

    ReplyDelete