Saturday, June 19, 2010

My Name is Mary Sutter


This was another bookstore find that I decided to find at the library--the money I save all goes to my coffee addiction so every little bit helps.


I am always looking at historical fiction, and this one was interesting because it had a strong female lead. Mary is a well know midwife who longs to be a surgeon. She has many obstacles because it is right before the start of the Civil War and her mother, her mentor and teacher, needs her at home. Determined, she leaves for Washington D.C. after war is declared and tries to become a nurse. She does eventually learn amputations after a doctor shortage forces the war department's hand, and actually follows some of the battles, helping wherever she can.


After fininshing this book, I realized that many of today's medical technologies have evolved because of war. The situations have forced research to be completed quickly to help out the wounded. It really brings up a question in my mind, if we didn't have war, would we be as advanced as we are now?

No comments:

Post a Comment