Friday, June 18, 2010

Stupid Is as Stupid Does

I am always very busy at work. Even in February I am busy just trying to finish all of the stuff that should have been done in December, although it is so slow we could close the doors and not have any problems. I have realized that I am so busy because of all the extra work caused by stupidity. Yes, stupidity, but not on my part-it never is my fault.

Just yesterday I was running around trying to get schedules together and help out at Guest Services. I answered a manager call to the desk, and went up to help a guy. He had a printout of a charge to his store credit card and was wondering what the extra shirt was on his statement, because he only bought one shirt. He did not have his original sales receipt, so getting his card information, I had to go back to the office and search for it on the electronic journal. The only smart thing he did was give me the corret date of purchase (not when it went through on his account which is always 1-3 days later--that is very important to remember!) and his credit card number. When I pulled up his itemized receipt it showed that the 13.99 mens shirt was charged twice, but the cashier did void it once. I then went to another computer to look up the sku numbers to find out description and brand of this shirt, because he did not remember it. I showed him the itemized receipt and explained which shirt it was, so he remembered what he bought. Then he asked why there were two shirts on his statement. I pointed out that yes, there were two shirts on there, but right below it was the term "line void" meaning the cashier did remove the extra charge. After his confused look I then took the four items he had, added them together in front of him, added tax and showed him he was charged correctly. If he had been charged two times for that shirt, it would have been $14 more. AHHHHH, that is what that means.

Last week had to help a guest who was charged twice on her check card for the same amount. She did not have the receipt information, but could give me the exact date of purchase and the credit card numbers. Looking it up, she had done two different purchases for two different items on the same day. After calling her back to see if this information was helpfull, AHHHHH, sorry, my mistake, sorry for your trouble. This has happened more than this one time. Because our coupons are limited one per purchase, people go through the line twice, sometimes buying the same priced item and automatically assume the cashier screwed them by charging them twice.

A couple of months ago a guest called claiming she had a charge to the store and lived out of town and it wasn't hers, her number must have been stolen. We were able to research the information and our security agent became involved, so she looked on the camera to see if she could get a description in case the police needed to be involved. We were a little perplexed when we were watching a nice looking older lady buying home products. Calling back the card holder and asking if she knew any lady with a that description buying those items, she became flustered, explaining that it was her own mother using the company credit card, shopping because she had asked her to stop when in town to save herself some time. AHHHH, sorry to waste your time, thank you very much.

Right after the last holiday season, a frantic guest called saying her grandson had tried to use his gift card she had given him for Christmas and was told it had a zero balance. She did have her original receipt so I could back track and find out when it was used and for what. Another camera adventure gave us a description of a young man buying shoes and jeans using that exact gift card. Our agent called her back, and after talking with her it was discovered that the young man using the gift card was her other grandson who had "borrowed" it without permission from his cousin. Well, she chose not to press charges, hmmmmm.

This kind of stuff happens all of the time. I am not saying that we don't make mistakes, but don't always assume that the mistake was not made by you. There are many times we have to look for a missing bag because "oh the cashier FORGOT to give it to me" and we find that the guest walked away from the counter, leaving the bag right there, or forgetting it in their shopping cart and someone else grabs it. My favorite it the cashier charged me for these $50 shoes and didn't give them to me, no I don't have my receipt, why can't you just give them to me now, only to find out that they never intended to buy them in the first place. Do I have "Stupid" on my nametag?????

No comments:

Post a Comment