Saturday, August 7, 2010

Coal Miner's Daughter

One of the many movies that I love is "Coal Miner's Daughter" and I watch it every time it's shown on TV, or if there isn't anything on, I will pull out the DVD and pop it in. It is one of those movies I like to have on in the background when I am doing something else. It keeps me company while I keep busy.

Many of my favorite movies are centered around music, and this one featuring the life of Loretta Lynn is a classic. Sissy Spacek as Loretta and Bevery D'Angelo as Patsy Cline both sing the songs themselves. Levon Helm, who plays Loretta's father, is a founding member of The Band (one of their hits was "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"). I find it ironic that a music icon plays a part of another music icon's story and doesn't even sing in the film.

The movie has many features that I enjoy: music, love, family, marriage, and a strong woman lead. Loretta Lynn's life is fascinating and the movie does an excellent job taking along her journey. It is always amazing that people who have been in the music or movie industry who have continued to have a successful marriage, and the struggles she has show that sometimes you have to stick with it to get the benefits out of life. Two of my favorite scenes are when they are taking a wild jeep ride together, once after they first met and then again after their long road to success. Does anyone else like the movie as much as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment