Sunday, February 13, 2011

Girl In Translation

This was another book found on many listings and shared in different book clubs this past year, and it was a very good read.  I enjoy a good human interest story, but sometimes they can be too "wordy", when the author feels the need to over describe every little detail.  This book didn't, and the story was excellent in it's simplicity.  I liked how the author would have the main character, ah-Kim (or Kimberly, her Americanized name) would interpret what someone else was talking about in English.  She had been taught before arriving in the States, but there were still many things she didn't understand.  It made me think about what the person was saying, so it almost put me in her frame of mind, because she was also having that same difficulty.

It was a coming of age story, wrapped around the problems trying to survive in a new country, with a little lost love thrown in for good measure.  The novel fit nicely after reading the last book, which was constantly trying to get me to stop and think about my history and literature classes, so I could follow the story better.  If you are looking for what they typically call a "beach" read, something for the summer vacation, this would be a good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment