Friday, October 22, 2010

Miracles

As my family knows, I sometimes wait until the season is done before watching the TV show, then I spend the entire day watching an entire year's worth of episodes. Because I'm on vacation, thought I would finish up Saving Grace.

I love this show, and am sad the season I'm watching will be the last. It is so raw and in your face, and constantly makes me think. For those that have never seen it, Holly Hunter plays Grace, a tough, hard-edged Oklahoma detective. She has alot of personal problems, starting with her drinking and her guilt over her sister's death. Her brother is a Catholic priest, and there are alot of religious symbols and references throughout the show, especially her personal angel, Earl.

The season opener I just watched had me thinking. The premise was that Grace was saved by a miracle of God. The characters bring up a very interesting point, that when a miracle occurs, bad things follow.

Is this true? I wonder if that happens. On some level, it makes sense. This world is a constant battle between opposites, such as good and evil, sunshine and rain, happiness and sadness. In order to balance the miracle, something bad has to happen if theory is correct. I wonder if I were to search any known miracles if we would find tragedy before or after. It just makes sense to me. After the 9/11 tragedy, we heard nothing but stories of miracles happening. Life just has to occur that way to offset the ups or downs we experience. I don't think it's a reason to go looking for that bad thing to happen right after a wonderful experience occurs, I just think we need to take the good with the bad so we can live our lives.

2 comments:

  1. So this was a thought provoking post and I found it very interesting. But for some reason after the last sentence I couldn't help singing in my head "you take the good, you take the bad, you them all and there you have the facts of life!". :) Sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heather, that was not a good thing to comment, now that song is stuck in my head:(

    ReplyDelete