Saturday, November 27, 2010

Updated Classics

There is an interesting prompt for discussion in one of the many book blogs I follow, and it really got me thinking. It also helped that Faith and I spent the morning browsing at Barnes and Noble after enjoying my venti peppermint mocha (I'm awake now). I had a 30% off one item coupon I had to use, and I had to choose between a classic (Hugo's Les Miserable) or a must read (Furnivall's Girl from Junchow). I chose the must read, because I bet I can pick up the classic at a used bookstore. Oh, sorry, I'm rambling....

The Blue Bookcase's Literary Blog Hop asked: What makes a contemporary novel a classic? It certainly brings up a good point, and I can list alot that I feel would fall under the category as a must read/must own. I came down to two selections that I strongly believe that need to be classified as classics: "The Stand" by Stephen King, and all of JK Rowlings Harry Potter books. Both books are amazing reads that take a simple plot of good versus evil and gets you cheering along the way.

Has anyone in my family read "The Stand"? It is one of my paperbacks that is worn, and I know I have read it twice. I refuse to give up my paperback, and it comforts me to know that it is still on my shelf, waiting for that day I need to lose myself in it again. I know my sister loves the miniseries as much as I do, and watches it whenever it's on (I still smile when King makes an appearance in the movie. His line is very choppy and you can tell he's not an actor). The book is so much better.

I'm not sure what Harry Potter books are still laying around, because it's hard to keep track when Faith reads my stuff, it seems to disappear in the pit she calls her room. But still it is comforting to know that they could be around somewhere. These books are classics because they don't cater to a specific age group. I know that 10 year olds enjoy it as much as the 65 year olds, and a classic is when a story can connect people in a special way. These books hold a special place in my heart, because Faith and I started reading them together, when our lives were turned upside down through the divorce. It was a great way to connect with my daughter before bedtime, and an easy way to escape the reality we were facing every day. I love the movies too, but the books are, of course, more involved and enjoyable. I know I will cry at the last showing of the last movie next summer, because I am always sad when a series ends, I feel as if a part of my life is gone.

The most amazing part of these books is that they are early novels of a new writer. Can you imagine one of your first publications being so loved that they are constantly in print? That is the stuff my dreams are made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment