Saturday, January 15, 2011

Happy 45th Anniversary Mom & Dad!!

Wow, 45 years.  That is a long time.  Sorry, I don't mean to make it sound bad, it's a great thing when you hear someone has been married for 45 years!

I know that over the years you both worked with one simple goal in mind, to give us a good home filled with love and happiness.  I want you both to know you accomplished just that.  All three of your girls are out on their own, doing what they love to do (I say that now because the holidays are over and comp time is being used:)).  We all have families of our own, but know that because of the fact that 45 years ago today, you joined together to give us that oppurtunity, and I thank you so much for everything.

We always say our family is crazy, maybe even a little wierd, but it's our family and I don't think any of us would want to change anything growing up.  Yes, we had to walk beans (except for Heather) and yes, we had to stack wood (except for Heather) and we even had to go to CCD every Thursday night (except for Heather) but I know we wouldn't change a bit.  (Sorry, Heather, I'm feeling a little goofy and had to put that in--love ya sis!)  I want to list some of my favorite family memories, please add some if I missed any:

  • Spending time in the car Sunday mornings waiting for Heather to get done with Sunday school.  We would sit reading the paper and not doing much, but for some reason it was a good time.
  • All of us driving down to G & G Blaschke's to cut and load wood for the winter.  Sorry we give you such a bad time, Heather, but because all of us were there it was fun, even though I'm sure Mom and Dad just remember us complaining the entire time.
  • The road trips:  need I say more?  The singing (Christmas and top hits!).  The Gambler, Chocolate Ice Cream Cone, Islands in the Stream.  I also remember the radio shows, the top hits from the fifties, "The Shadow Knows", I really miss those drives!!
  • Vacations in the Black Hills.  Your love of that area was passed on to us.
  • The family pets:  Max, Buffy, and all of those cats.  Yes, I even remember Kraut.
  • Running the Fireworks stand.  It was hot, but we were the cool kids who had all of that ammunition!
  • The variety of vehicles we would drive.  I don't know if any kid in our school had as many options as we did.  They may not have been pretty, but they were unforgettable!
  • The sleepovers!  I remember that many of my friends loved staying at our house.  We lived in the country and couldn't go many places, but I think they liked staying there because our parents were pretty cool.  (And when I run into them today, they always remember to ask about you!)
I could sit here all day to think of more.  Thanks Mom and Dad for such great memories.  You're dedication to family has paid off and you can sit back and reap those rewards (but you have to wait for the money until your grandkids make their fortunes!)  Love you lots!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I went to CCD until I graduated! And complained every Thursday. :) I missed out on a lot of years of Cosby Show for that. :)

    ReplyDelete