Friday, January 7, 2011

Russian Winter

Before the end of  the year, I voted on a website for favorite books of 2010.  I can't remember which site it was, but it had many different categories, and this book was listed as a choice.  I actually have a new list from that site, but this is the first I read.

I was drawn to it because it was historical fiction, and about a new topic I had not approached.  It's background was the Russian ballet in the late 1940's, early 1950's and the ballerina today.  There was many flashbacks to her background, but not enough to satisfy my needs.  It was very interesting to get that glimpe into that world of beauty surrounded by the fear of governmental control.  Their very lives were centered around if they would be the next to "disappear" into the night after being reported on.  The current story was centered around an auction on this ballerina's jewelry and the people involved in her current life. 

While it was interesting to read about a new subject, I felt that the story really dragged on.  It was one of those books that you wanted to stop reading, but something new would come up and you had to continue.  Sometimes I felt that it tried to be classical literature, and then a romance, followed by history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment