Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Lonely Polygamist


"To put it as simply as possible: This is the story of a polygamist who has an affair." That first line grabbed my attention to a good story about an abnormal family. The first thing that caught my eye was the cover and title and I thought what an interesting concept. We all are familiar with the term polygamist and that it usually means a large family, so how can someone possibly be lonely? The book was a good read about a dysfunctional family, even dysfunctional by polygamist standards. I don't have any problems with anyone who chooses this life, I only have problems if they are forced into it, not allowed to leave it if it is not something they want for themselves, or forced into a marriage when they are underage. I kind of feel sorry for the main character, he is not capable of handling the overwhelming resposiblity it must be to take care of many wives and numerous children, while being expected to live up to a certain standard set by his church. I cannot imagine that sort of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment