Monday, May 24, 2010

Tornados

Wonder what this post is all about? First things first: is it tornadoes or tornados? Just putting that out there.

It's nights like tonight that bring back those memories, and I am sure you already know what I am talking about. Those twilights we are taken to the basement because the hot wind is blowing and the clouds are that ugly black color. I know there was a reason we kept that ugly green huge desk in the basement, I think we could all fit under there as kids. Mom being Mom has made us aware that nature is unpredictable, and why take chances? Just go to the basement, but NEVER, EVER, go to the actual shelter underground. Too creepy...too many spiders...and possibly snakes.

I don't know if you are aware of what we have to do while at work when there is dangerous weather. First, we get that dreaded call from every single manager sitting at home in front of the TV watching Keloland putting the fear of god into Sioux Falls. Reason why every single one calls? Because there is a chance that noone may call. When you are inside the store you can't tell what is going on outside.

Number one there is the tornado watch. That means I stand at the door in front of I don't know how many panels of glass to watch the sky. Next becomes the actual warning. That means I stand at the front door in front of all of that glass. This is the only way I can hear the sirens, of course.

Once the sirens are going, we have to make an announcement (and I won't bore you with it because I can recite it by heart--not really but I've made it enough). Every single person in the store has to go to the hallway by the restrooms because of the sirens going off. Why the bathroom hallway you may ask? It is the safest area in the store (not really, but my personal study shows that there is ALWAYS some little boy or very old lady that has to pee during this, so why not there? I really don't want to clean up pee if the tornado does not rip us apart). Oh--I forgot to mention that when we get the warning BEFORE the sirens, we are arming up with flashlights, our walkie talkies (and cell phones), and locking up the registers, because if the sirens do go off, we want to be sure that when the till is flying through the air the money is kept neat.

Now we are in the shelter. But not me, the fearless leader. I am standing once again at the front doors by all of that glass. You see, we have to leave the front doors UNLOCKED because we want anyone who needs it to be able to seek shelter inside. I also have to tell those that look like they are seeking shelter that no, they can't go find a red pair of heels to go with their new dress, can't you see that tornado you nitwit? Yes, I am not making that up. I have actually had people look at me like I'm the crazy one not letting them shop.

We have to stay in the shelter until the warning is lifted, not necessarily the sirens stopping. There have been times I have let people leave, I can't force them to stay, but they have to leave completely. I am the expert when it comes to the tornado procedure (specifically section 14-11 in the Store Safety Manual). I have been the only manager on duty when this has happened, and the scariest was the night quite a few years ago when that tornado completely destroyed Spencer. I wouldn't allow any of the employees to leave even after closing, and had many of their scared parents telling me how relieved they were knowing their teen wasn't trying to get home in that. I even had a guest bring in her two big shephards because I didn't think it was safe for the dogs to be in the car either.

We may laugh that Mom overreacted during this weather when we were younger, but I thank her. I don't think it is worth risking your life to prove you are brave, and there are too many lives I have to be in charge of when at work. It is a running joke at work that every time the sirens go off in town, it means Kelly is at the store. For some reason it usually works out that way. By the way: I close this Thursday night---don't be suprised if we have another tornado warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment