Thursday, July 1, 2010

Stieg Larsson







Well I am back. It has been a crazy week, and there might be more on that to follow, but I have been trying to finish a book. This took me a long time because my mind has been at work, but it was a little hard to get through the final book in this series.

Sometimes I pick up a book just because of the title or cover art is intriguing. That was the case with the first book in the series by the late author Stieg Larsson. "The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo" introduced me to Lisbeth Salander, a petite fireball who has been dealt a terrible beginning in her life because of her father and the Swedish government's lack of caring. Helping her without her wanting any help at all is a popular journalist Mikael Blomkvist.

The second in the book, "The Girl Who Played With Fire" introduces us to Salander's father, who turns out to be a protected Swedish citizen who defected from Russia. His crimes are continually covered up by a secret section in the Swedish government. This particular section is not even known by the prime minister, but Blomkvist uncovers everything but is not able to publish his discovery because Salander is trying to kill her father. Blomkvist thinks he needs to protect Lisbeth, and the book ends on a cliffhanger.

I anxiously awaited the third publication, I had become so wrapped up in the character's lives. I did not have to wait very long because the author had turned in all three manuscripts at the same time, and passed away shortly after. "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" shows alot of government intrigue as Blomkvist and friends try to help Lisbeth uncover the business surrounding her father's protectors.

While it was a great series with a good plot, I found it very interesting how much I learned about Sweden. It did get somewhat confusing at times because the places and names were local, but I now realize that Sweden's government is not that simple. Even though they do things a little differently than the US does, they still have problems. Larsson used actual scandals in the country's history to back up his fact that the secret section could have been real.
I am really disappointed that this will be all from this author. I learned alot about Swedish culture and politics, and feel that reading really teaches us while we enjoy the story. Even though I had struggle through the last book, I am glad I finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment