Friday, April 16, 2010

Crossword Puzzles


I like to do crossword puzzles, or rather TRY to do crossword puzzles. I always imagine someday I will be able to sit down on a Sunday morning and actually succeed in finishing the famous Times crossword in the designated time. You heard me, I said "imagine".

There are many different formats of crossword puzzles, many themes and levels of difficulty. For some reason the ultimate is the puzzle in the Sunday paper. I do not suscribe to the New York Times, but the local paper carries one weekly. There is something about doing the puzzle on newsprint that just seems "old school" and the routine is comforting. I don't always get the Sunday paper, but when I do, the section is pulled out and carefully folded, ready for attack. I like to do it in pen, which takes me longer because I don't put in the answer until I am sure. I almost never look at the answers, and have yet to finish one.

I have tried the puzzles that you can buy in books, or the ones online, but the Sunday newspaper has the best by far. Someday I hope to finish one before it is scribbled all over, chewed on by the cat, or spilled all over with food and drink. When I purchase the next paper, the old one is thrown in the recycling bin, passed over and forgotten.

Does anyone have the four letter word for Gallic "god"?

1 comment: