Friday, April 23, 2010

The Shack/Angel Time

I originally started to blog because I wanted to share my love of reading. My good intentions have taken me on another journey at times, but now I would like to talk about a particular book I read awhile ago and one I just finished.

The Shack was a book I had looked at while shopping Barnes and Noble close to my 40th birthday. The cover art, title, and summary on the back made it appear to be a book about an abducted child and the search conducted by her family. Faith thought it would make a great present, so I did end up bringing it home. Let me say it was not what I thought it would be.

This book was a book of the power of forgiveness, and very hard to read for a parent. The father had a journey he took after losing his daughter to a terrible crime, and we were introduced to some very unconventional characters. His ability to actually forgive the person who caused his daughter's death is remarkable.

Little did I know that this book was making alot of waves just by the power of communication among readers all across the nation. I just recently finished Angel Time by one of my favorite authors, Anne Rice. The book kept bringing me back to The Shack time and time again.

Angel Time is about a man who is living his life as an assassin. While he was young, his goal was to become a Dominican preacher, but a life changing event sends him into downward spiral. The second half of the book he is visited by his guardian angel, who has him travel through time to help out Jews in the Middle English period who are accused of a crime they did not commit.

The reason why this book has a strong connection to The Shack is because in Angel Time we are shown the power of forgiveness that is given by his God. Forgiveness is a powerful tool that every person needs to learn every single day of their life. Sometimes I think that if some of our world leaders would just learn that lesson that we would have a better place to raise our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment