Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's Been a LONNG Week

Was back at work this past Tuesday, and while I only actually worked 4 days, it became a long week. During my vacation the previous week, there were about five different phone calls about work. I really didn't mind, because I didn't need to actually go to the store to deal with a problem, but you would think that sometime during those five conversations someone would have said: "By the way, on your first day back you will be training a manager for another store." When I walked in and was given this information, I asked, "Why didn't you call me so I could be mentally prepared?" (The night before I had already gone through what I needed to start accomplishing the next day in my head.) My manager's response was that he didn't want to bother me on my vacation. WTH???? He was one of the few phone calls I had gotten while on vacation (and one of those calls was how to order toilet paper of all things--but I admit I was responsible for doing that before I left and I had forgotten)!!

My trainee arrived at 9 a.m. ready to go, but I sure wasn't. He is doing my job only in another store, so how hard could it be to train, right?? WRONG. I was not prepared at all and felt like a fool having him read manuals for the first day so I could get my sh...stuff together.

I love training, don't get me wrong. I agreed to be a designated corporate trainer for my job (without any extra pay) because it was quite an honor and it is more job security, which these days is a very important part of the job. My issue is the planning when they send out these trainees, and sometimes I wish I could be in on the interview process. I know, that sounds snobbish, but seriously, where do they get some of these people? My fear is that every single one goes back and says "Kelly told me to do it this way" when they do something wrong, or give the reason they weren't trained correctly when they can't handle it back at their own store working by themselves. I am one to just dig in and do it, even when I don't completely understand what I am doing, my job is not that hard. Why do I need to tell an adult who has been in the workforce for more than 20 years after explaining how to do it, they really need to practice and get "hands on" training. I shouldn't have to stand over your shoulder the entire day for 14 days.

Let's just say after last week I am going to have the song "Me and My Shadow" running through my head all next week. Sometimes I just want to say "go do something, I showed you how, now just do it!!!".

No comments:

Post a Comment